*THIS WORKSHOP HAS BEEN CANCELLED due to the large number of other IDN sessions occurring during the San Juan meeting. The time allocated for the workshop will instead be used for an IDN policy coordination meeting. If you are interested in learning more about the status of IDNs or how to participate in the work to deploy IDNs, please contact ICANN’s IDN Director, Tina Dam firstname.lastname@example.org, or participate in one of the IDN sessions this week.
A list of ALL IDN-related sessions can be viewed at http://sanjuan2007.icann.org/event/2007/06/23/table/all/2.
The workshop will address new gtld policy issues such as:
- should ICANN remain content neutral in national policy debates when evaluating applications for domains?
- how can ICANN protect freedom of expression rights in domain name policy?
- what is the proper role for governments in approving or rejecting top-level domains?
- what is the appropriate balance between trademarks and free expression rights in domain names?
- who should decide which ideas are too controversial to be allowed in a top-level domain?
- how to balance competing rights to use the same words in domain names?
- should trademark owners be given prior registration privileges before other rights holders?
- should a controversial domain name be rejected or delayed
- Joi Ito, ICANN board member and Creative Commons board member
- Christine Haight Farley, Law professor at American University
- Michael Palage, Attorney and ex-board member of ICANN
- Milton Mueller, Chairman of ICANN’s Non-Commercial Users Constituency, professor at Syracuse University and founding partner of Internet Governance Project
Workshop organized by ICANN’s Non-Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC)
Website for the civil society workshop:
Workshop: New Geo-TLDs - More Consumer Choice or More Consumer Confusion? (Co-sponsors: NCUC, At-Large)
Monday, 25 June 2007, 1300 - 15:30
Session Chair and Moderator: Susan Crawford, ICANN Board of Directors
1) Introductions - Kurt Pritz, Senior Vice President, Services, ICANN
2) Registrar Data Escrow
a) Speaker: Jon Nevett, Registrar Constituency
b) Speaker: Mike Zupke, Registrar Liaison Manager, ICANN [SLIDES]
c) Vittorio Bertola, ALAC
3) Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) Amendments
a) Speaker: Rob Hall, Registrar Constituency
b) Speaker: Kurt Pritz [SLIDES]
c) Beau Brendler, ALAC [SLIDES]
4) gTLD Registry Failover
a) Speaker: Patrick Jones, Registry Liaison Manager, ICANN [SLIDES]
b) Speaker: Chuck Gomes, Registry Constituency [SLIDES]
c) Speaker: ALAC member
5) Contractual Compliance
a) Speaker: Stacy Burnette, Director, Contractual Compliance, ICANN
b) Speaker: ALAC member
6) Concluding Remarks - Susan Crawford
7) Question from the Floor
Critical Internet Resources – ICANN’s Role
12.15 - 13.15
Moderator: Markus Kummer
Introduction -- Setting the Scene of the Second IGF meeting -- Markus Kummer
Observations from the Hosts -- José Victor Hansem (Brazil)
Broad Overview of critical Internet resources -- Vint Cerf
IP addressing: IPv4 and migration to IPv6 -- Raul Echeberria, LACNIC
Security -- issues of relevance for ccTLDs -- Chris Disspain
ALAC perspective -- Jacqueline Morris
Discussion / Q/A